Blue Pinnacle Training and Consultancy

Welcome to my new office!


Klik hier voor Nederlandse versie


I finally did it, I founded my own business!

This was a long term ambition, really. After switching to a trainer role in 2008, I came to realize it would be hard to maintain a position as full-time trainer. Although I got exactly this with Sapienza Space and Defence, I regarded it as a unique opportunity, unlikely to recur. So, for some years, this had been on my mind. With some hesitance, because I liked the security of having a paid position.

And then, suddenly, this became the way forward. I wanted to continue working for Sapienza. To avoid complications, this was best done from my own business. The founding started way before moving to Curacao. Lots of things had already been completed, like contract negotiations, getting support for the legal stuff and advice on how to run a business in general. I could only complete founding after moving; I had to prove I’m living in Curacao, as this is a requirement for directing a local business.

It turned out the actual founding was not the end of it. A lot of things still needed to be arranged after that. Many of these I managed to “outsource” to my accountant, who supported me well. There are some things you have to show up for, however. Like getting a registration for health insurance, and requesting a “directie- en vestigingsvergunning” (a permit I need to run my business).

Apart from making arrangements, you need to work as well of course.

My business relies heavily on an internet connection. I need to be able to run online classrooms. This requires certain upload speeds. Therefore, arranging landline-based internet was one of my top priorities. Regretfully, this took a lot of time. To bridge the gap, I used cellphone-based Internet. But though it said “4G” I guess the backbone is pre-4G... so initially, I ended up arranging a meeting room in the city for online training sessions. A relatively costly solution, but a good way to get to know the city and meet people.

Another thing which was quite hard to get was a bank account. It’s probably because there is a whole cash-driven economy on Curacao as well; having a bank account here is not a commodity like it is in the Netherlands.

The process of getting a bank account? Complete an online form. You will be called. Wait a couple of days, no word. Call the bank. Ask for the status. No, we can’t connect you to that department. Yes, you will be called soon. Repeat a couple of times. Without the desired effect. Next, I did something typically Dutch. I approached the competition to see if that’s quicker. And what do you think? Turns out it’s not...

All this bank business got me a bit nervous. You spend money, for personal things but also for the business. At the same time, there is no money coming in. Feels like driving a car through a desert without knowing where the next gas station is… What also doesn’t help is that every foreign transaction incurs a fee; not very nice if you have to pay lots of invoices.

Finally, there was light at the end of the tunnel. With the help of Liesbeth and the hospital, we managed to kick start the process. When I left for the Netherlands (2 months after moving to Curacao), my situation was that I had a corporate bank account. But the card, the PIN number and online banking I had to arrange after separately. Something I only got around to after returning from the Netherlands.

And then, of course, I also need to create a website, work on general terms and conditions, look at how the GDPR affects me, etcera. The work of the sole trader never ends - no rest for the wicked ðŸ˜Š

Ah yes, I was going to write about my first return trip to the Netherlands. Going back so soon (two months after moving) for so long (one month) was a weird experience. It felt like returning from a holiday (and returning 'home' felt like moving again!) Business-wise, I was very happy. Working from home has many advantages, but there are no colleagues. Furthermore, working in an office environment it’s easier to focus.

Also, I visited lots of people, which was nice, But I had seen most of them pretty recently. I also took a couple of climbing trips to the Ardennes. When I planned my first visit to the Netherlands, I assumed I wouldn’t be climbing much after moving to Curacao. Well I was wrong about that. More about that in my next post.

Reacties

  1. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today.  Dat Consultancy

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Free e-guidebooks about rock climbing on Curacao

New Roi Rincon climbing area: "What's around the corner?"